6.25.2008

George Carlin 5.12.37 -6.22.08

When I was a kid, I was terribly awkward and tubby so I spent a lot of weekend nights at home watching HBO. It seemed that every weekend there would be at least one bit of programming featuring George Carlin and I saw it ALL. Most of the stand-ups had pretty rhythmic acts. Set up, punchline, mug to the audience...repeat as necessary. I couldn't believe that he was just up there talking. He wasn't telling jokes, he was telling the truth and he seemed just as confused about it as I was.

He wanted to know why things were as fucked up or backwards as they are and this led me in some way to question the things happening around me. I think that he had that effect on most of the people who enjoyed his comedy.

Sure, he'd sneak in a fart joke here and there but for the most part, you had to be a pretty sharp person to get most of his jokes. It made me feel pretty special that I understood what he was talking about. It was a GOOD reason to feel set apart from other kids. I kinda think that I should give him credit for showing me the proper way to be funny.

I can't think of anyone who can even come close to filling his clown shoes.

I'm so fucking sad about this.

No comments: