7.02.2008

New wax.

I picked up some nice stuff at my sort of regular spot a couple of days ago.

Large Professor "About That Time" 12" on Matador (!?) of all labels. It says that it's number 2 in a series of Matador Hip Hop releases but I never heard of it. Not even this song.... and I love Extra P. I have yet to check and see what the other releases were, but if this one is any indication, they're probably not all that good.

The track, which was produced by LP himself is banging plain and simple. I listened to the instrumental first and was pleased as punch but the the track with lyrics simply has raps that are not nearly as good as they could've been. This is a common feeling for me when hearing latter day Large Professor. I didn't even make it through the flip side. It didn't really suck or anything, but I was disappointed.

For 3 bucks, I got myself a test pressing of Queen Latifah's first album "All Hail The Queen". I always get a little excited when I come across test pressings because you know they never were in a store and were advance copies and all of that other exclusive shit. Even the white label says "Test Pressing. Exclusive. A-List DJ's Only!" All of Tommy Boy's tests say that but I've always liked to think that the record that is in my crate now may have once been in the hands of say......Flex or Mark The 45 King, or even Biz but I don't think Biz ever sells anything. Speaking of 45 King, he produced a ton of tracks for this album with the standouts being "Latifah's Law", "Ladies First" and my personal favorite "Wrath Of My Madness" that has a bit of dancehall stylee on the chorus. That song is fucking spectacular. I wish I had it on a single.

I grabbed a Souls Of Mischief single for "Rock It Like That" and "Sho For Real" but I only ever kind of liked those guys. I know that that's akin to blasphemy, especially on the internets, but I was more of a Casual fan.

(I own not one of that guys records. So hard to come by!!) I liked Del a lot too, but not as much as most white dudes.

Why the hell do white folks go so crazy for Del? The first person to ever tell me about "Mistadobalina" was a white dude in a Phillies Blunt hat at Macalester College while I was playing Arkanoid. Three days later, I was on acid at First Avenue for Sunday Night Dance Party (white kids) and saw the video.

I still recall that night every time I hear that song. I went out and copped the tape and loved it. (natch)

I've theorized that his popularity amongst white kids is a combination of having his songs in skateboard videos and his relatively non-threatening appearance. He's Ice Cubes cousin too, so go figure.Ice Cube Knuckles The lip piercing didn't hurt either. If only he woulda pierced his eyebrow, every god damned Floridian teenager with a smelly haircut woulda bought "Both Sides Of The Brain".
Doooossshhh.
Yeah. Those kids.

I finally got myself a copy of "Back That Azz Up" by your boy Juvie. This has been a glaring, shining bald spot in my Dirty South collection. Now I finally have something to follow "Wobble, Wobble". (If that's even possible.) Only a couple of bucks will get me and countless hoochies precisely four minutes and twenty five seconds of azz backing madness. I can hardly wait.

I have to work on the Fourth of July and that makes me angry. Every fucking restaurant in this town is closing except us. Fuck that. I plan on making the proverbial lemonade out of my employers lemons by getting drunk on the clock. I'm gonna make apple pie too. That oughta be fun.

No comments: