8.19.2008

WAX REPORT

Boy, did I ever get some nice stuff on my days off. I took another trip to the usual spot and came out ahead with the following jams......

The Blackbyrds - "City Life"

It's safe to say that my record purchases these days are more directed towards historical samples, breaks, and famous early park jam records in general and what better a record to reflect that than this one. The first track is 'Rock Creek Park' which was HUGE among b-boys. The first few bars are a nice steady, funky beat that would be a breeze to rock doubles with and then, of course there's the only lyrics of "Doin' it in the park, doin' it after dark, oh yeah, Rock Creek Park" which everyone recognizes as funky as hell. Just that song alone has been sampled by....

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five on "We Will Rock You"
Eric B and Rakim on "The R"
De La Soul on "Ghetto Thang"
Ice Cube on "I Wanna Kill Sam"
Ultramagnetic MC's on "When I Burn"
N.W.A on "Quiet On Tha Set"

....to name a few. That's just the first track. There's at least two other songs on here that have samples that I recognize, but can't remember which rap tune they're on. The last track on this record is a banger as well. 'Hash and Eggs' has a dope clavinet in it and the beat is raw. It cost me a buck and sounds great.

Oh yeah....thanks a fucking lot RITA ALDRIDGE for scrawling your stupid name three times on the front cover.


The Blackbyrds - "Action"

Another sample heavy record from these dudes. 'Supernatural Feeling' was used by K.M.D on '808 Man' off of their spectacular album 'Mr. Hood' and 'Mysterious Vibes' was used by Kurious on 'I'm Kurious' off of his 'A Constipated Monkey' release.

Speaking of K.M.D., it's a damn shame what's happening with Doom these days. I don't want to believe that an impostor was on stage at Rock The Bells but considering all of the stupid shit that rappers do, I wouldn't doubt it. What really bugs me is one of my childhood heroes is getting raked over the coals for something that he probably DID do and that's fucking wack. The things he allegedly did, that is. I hate the fact that I agree that that shit was fake ass fuckery. Sometimes I hate Hip Hop and crap like this is when it really gets me down. I tend to hold the musicians I like in pretty high regard so when one of them does something I consider to be fucked up or whatever, it puts me in a weird place. Anyhow....I hope something good or at least clever comes out of this.

No comments: